Monday 22 September 2008

God is not great



Reading the first four chapters of 'God is not great' by Christopher Hitchens this morning in Starbucks had a very strong effect on me. It made me cry. Not through offence or any other obvious feeling, but through shock and sadness that people who believe in the existence of god have carried out such horrid, vile, and putrid things for ridiculous reasons throughout history, even modern history, and still want some form of special respect towards their religion. What a pile of bull!

Religion is no more deserving of respect than another matter of opinion, and in some cases it deserves less respect owing to the stupidity and arrogance of the follower. I hate that a organisation/community/sect in these modern times thinks that blind and unquestioning 'faith' is a virtue. Is there anything scarier?! Surely this is the same 'virtue' that hijackers of 9/11 had, they believed strongly that they were doing gods will and that they would be rewarded for giving up their lives in his name.

Anywho, I don't want to digress any more than that. I was reading Hitchens' book in Starbucks this morning after being reunited with my Starbucks buddy, Rhiannon. I think part of my strong reaction to reading about this scary side to faith was due to the amount of coffee i had. I swear, Starbucks is the devil with its 'Free Refill of Filter Coffee' promotion. I had 3 cups this morning, over a 5 hour period, and i was bouncing off the walls! I'll try not to do that again . . .

Now to get on with revising some cell biology before making my unit decisions for my final year, i need to make sure i'll enjoy all of the topics i have chose. Bye :P

No comments: