Friday 19 September 2008

The Hallé

One Mr Chris Russell asked me yesterday evening whether I would like to go with him to see The Hallé at The Bridgewater Hall that night. It made me feel a bit silly since I had text him asking if he wanted to go see Mamma Mia at the cinema. Anywho, I happened to be free, and around town so it seemed awefully serendipitous, it becomes more scary when the piece of music that Mr R had recently discovered (whether for the first time or not i can't be sure) and fallen in love with is being played that night. Crazy!

To quote the official website The Hallé is "Britain's longest-established symphony orchestra, founded in Manchester by Sir Charles Hallé in 1858. The Hallé's present Music Director is Sir Mark Elder CBE."

The music was one the whole really really good. My favorite piece was the second piece of the night, an impromptu replacement for Babers Violin Concerto, Liszt's Piano Concerto No.1. It was stunningly well played by the pianist Polina Leschenko, who recieved one hellova applause from the audience which must have lasted a good few minutes. They also decided to make the most of Miss L by playing another piece just for fun! The main focus of the peformance was on Elgar's Enigma Variations, which lasted a bum aching 33 minutes!

All in all it was a brilliant night and I very much recommend Liszt's Piano Concerto No.1, as well as Vaughn Williams' Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis. I had lots of fun considering it was my first orchestral concert, and I thank Mr R again for suggesting it.

1 comment:

chrismcr said...

"One Mr Chris Russell" makes me sound like I sport a bowler hat and brass-tipped walking cane (maybe that's just me :)

I knew the Tallis Fantasia already, I just happened to have been listening to it a lot that week.. and by coincidence when I checked the Bridgewater Hall website I found it was being performed that very night :-O

Leschenko's second piece was one of Chopin's Polonaises, I don't remember which one (and can't easily find out because he wrote over 70 :)

Anyway, thank you for coming along - I wouldn't have gone on my own..

Hope you're free next time too :)